Pages

Friday, July 5, 2013

Unicorn Inspired Hair FAIL!

Hello Lovelies!

I have recently been inspired by the most lovely Helen Melon (you may know her as Helen Melonlady) to dye the ends of my ombre hair lavender and a light turquoise. Helen recently dyed her hair like a unicorn! And I absolutely loved it. So today I stopped by Sally's and picked up ion color brilliance's lavender and turquoise and I can't wait to get started! 

After watching this lovely tutorial/walk through video from Helen on how she got her gorgeous unicorn hair, I got some helpful tips on how to go about doing my own. I completely recommend you to watch the video by clicking on the picture right here:



Isn't she lovely? I plan on diluting the turquoise color a bit to make it a bit more pastel and just like Helen says, I plan to do that by mixing a bit of it with a silicone-free conditioner. Instead of doing random bits like Helen's, I plan to section my hair into three layers, leaving some of my blonde and do bottom lavender, middle nothing and keep the blonde, then top turquoise. 

~Many hours and one drastic mood change later:

Oh boy was I wrong about all of this. After going through with the whole process, I realized that I am not a blonde and doing pastel colors on someone with darker hair is going to have a completely different feel to it. I completely admire Helen's hair because it's all bright and silvery and pastel and beautifully feminine. Well, mixing these colors with my faded auburn brown hair, it gave off a different feel entirely. I felt like I should be back in 7th grade listening to my Scary Kids Scaring Kids CD. 
Some pictures of my journey:

 This was my hair before this experience. I WANT IT BACK! Grr. Now, originally I was going to get a toner to get rid of all of that orange in my hair because I figured the blonder it is, the better the color will take. However the lady at Sally's disagreed, so I assumed she had quite a bit of hair knowledge and took her advice. I went ahead and got my colors together, mixed 'em up, sectioned off my hair, and got to work. I started with the lavender and it didn't stain my hands, so I figured I'd be fine the entire time until:
(If you don't like your hands to change color, wear some gloves when using Ion Color Brilliance Turquoise.) Then I waited a full 45 minutes before rinsing it out, and this is what came out as the final result:

Sure, the colors came out mostly pretty well, and I know it's nothing terrible, but it's also nothing close to what I was picturing in my head. Sometimes I've just got all of these great expectations and my mind says "Of course it'll be great! Why wouldn't it be?!" and then when it's not, I'm extremely let down. Maybe I should do something about that...
Anyway! That was my experience and you better bet I'll be scrubbing my ends with head and shoulders and whatever other tricks the lovely world of YouTube is willing to offer me. 
That's all for now!

Thanks for reading loves
Muah! Melinda Shay

No comments:

Post a Comment